Seattle, WA–The Alliance for Gun Responsibility celebrated the election of 15 gun responsibility champions to office at all levels of government across Washington. Additionally, numerous gun responsibility candidates across the U.S. were elected to office and exit polls showed that gun violence was a priority issue for voters, regardless of political affiliation.
“This is a huge milestone on the road to gun responsibility majorities in Olympia and all levels of government in Washington and across the country,” said Renée Hopkins, CEO of the Alliance for Gun Responsibility. “Because of the political realities in the other Washington, action at the local, county and state level is more important than ever. The results of last night’s election show that meaningful change is already underway here in Washington and taking hold in numerous other states.”
The Alliance for Gun Responsibility Victory Fund endorsed the following candidates who successfully won their races during the general election:
- Manka Dhingra, State Senator, 45th Legislative District
- Patty Kuderer, State Senator, 48th Legislative District
- Rebecca Saldana, State Senator, 37th Legislative District
- Vandana Slatter, State Representative, 48th Legislative District
- Jenny Durkan, Seattle Mayor
- Victoria Woodards, Tacoma Mayor
- Dow Constantine, King County Executive
- Peter Holmes, Seattle City Attorney
- Lorena González, Seattle City Council Position 9
- Teresa Mosqueda, Seattle City Council Position 8
- Chris Beale, Tacoma City Council District 4
- Robert Thoms, Tacoma City Council Position 2
- Sarah Kneller, Mukilteo City Council District 4
- Janice Zahn, Bellevue City Council Position 5
- Jesse Johnson, Federal Way City Council Position 1
About the Victory Fund
This is the third year that the Alliance has endorsed candidates who support commonsense laws that balance gun rights with responsibility. In 2016, Victory Fund endorsements supported the successful election of over 40 candidates, many who ran on gun responsibility issues. The Victory Fund endorsed 31 incumbent legislators and Governor Inslee for re-election and eight candidates, who won in open seat elections in 2016. The fund also endorsed two candidates who successfully beat incumbents: Senator Lisa Wellman in the 41st legislative district and Representative Kristine Reeves, who now serves the 30th legislative district.
You can see all the Alliance’s 2017 endorsements here.
About the Alliance for Gun Responsibility
The Alliance for Gun Responsibility works to end the gun violence crisis in our community and to promote a culture of gun ownership that balances rights with responsibilities. Through collaboration with experts, civic leaders, and citizens, we work to find evidenced-based solutions to the crisis of gun violence in our community. We create innovative policy, advocate for changes in laws, and promote community education to reduce gun violence. Learn more at www.gunresponsibility.org and follow us at @WAGunResponsib.